The California sun can get harsh, especially during the summer. Now that fall is finally here in LA, we think you should crack down on your car maintenance. Fall is all about recovery, and the team at West Coast Tire & Service wants to help you with your auto maintenance this season so that you and your loved ones can stay safe on the road. Here are our top 10 fall car care tips!
- Replace your wiper blades - The heat and harmful UV rays can harden your wipers and cause them to crack.
- Check car fluids and top them off - Your vehicle has many different fluids, including coolant, brake fluid, washer fluid, and more.
- Test the car lights. They include your headlights, taillights, high beams, and more. Over time, these bulbs naturally burn out or the lens gets oxidized. To ensure optimal visibility while driving, please have a mechanic check these out.
- Inspect tires - Using a pressure gauge, you should frequently monitor your tire pressure. Proper inflation and tread depth are key to keeping proper traction, especially when driving over a sheet of leaves.
- Test the battery - Many car owners see their car battery deplete in the colder months. This is because the summer heat most likely caused rapid wear. Most vehicle batteries can last up to 5 years, but you should thoroughly inspect them to catch any signs of wear and tear.
- Run your heater - Not having used your car heater all summer, it's best to check it early on to see if it operates.
- Get an oil change - When in doubt, change your engine oil. It will ensure all engine parts are lubricated to run smoothly.
- Check belts and hoses - To prevent cracked belts or worn hoses, have a professional tech inspect these. They take a matter of seconds to minutes, but they can save you from extensive repairs.
- Give your car a good clean - While we don't offer this service at West Coast Tire & Service, we recommend wiping your car down to get rid of contaminants that may cling onto the car's paint. Don't forget the wax too.
- Pack an emergency kit - Though you wouldn't expect much rain and, especially not, snow in LA. However, we recommend carrying along some road flares, a vehicle jack, coats, blankets, snacks, water, rope, spare tire, and gloves just in case anything happens on the road.
Please bring your car to West Coast Tire & Service today for all your automotive care!